When was the Point News not the Point News?
For most of the 1940s and ’50s the St. Mary’s student newspaper was called “The Signal News.”
It first became “The Point News” in 1959.
Then for most of the 1970s and into the ’80s it was “The Empath.”
Much to the dismay of some 1970s and early ’80s alumni, the name “The Point News” returned in 1985.
Whatever the name, St. Mary’s student newspapers from 1952 through 2002 have been digitized and are now available online, fully word-searchable, via the Archives web site!
And because we take our duty to preserve our historical record seriously, physical copies of all these papers (as well as those from the 1940s and from 2002 to date) are safely tucked away in the College Archives. Hard copies of issues from 2002 to date are also available in the Library.