The Library, Archives & Media Center provides a variety of equipment, software and services in support of the research needs of individuals with disabilities.
Accessibility Resource Room – LI 128
The accessibility resource room is available any time the library is open and may be used without limitation by students who reserve the room.
The resource room contains the following equipment:
- ADA computer workstation with 24″ monitor
- Combination headphones/microphone
- hp scanjet 8200 scanner
- Landline telephone
The workstation features the following specialized software (not available on other SMCM public computers):
- JAWS: Reads on-screen computer text. It includes DAISY reading software for workstation use.
- FS Reader 3.0: DAISY Player Software for Desktop PCs running Windows
- Kurzweil 3000: Creates spoken-word files from scanned text which are DAISY compatible.
- Dragon NaturallySpeaking: Speech-to-text speech recognition software
- ZoomText Screen Reader/Magnifier
The workstation also has access to the following software that are available on other SMCM public computers:
- IBM SPSS
- VLC Media Player
DAISY players are available at the circulation desk for a standard two-week loan which can be extended up to one whole semester. DAISY files can be used to place bookmarks, search by line or chapter, and change the speaker’s speed without distorting or changing the pitch of the voice.
Several of our databases include the ability to audibly recite articles. Users can adjust the reading speed and have the software highlight the on-screen as it is read. Users can also download MP3 files of these articles.
Staff at the Library’s Circulation Desk can assist in producing large-print photocopies at no charge to users. Assistance retrieving library materials from shelves can also be provided.
Still have questions about accessibility accommodations at the Library? Ask at the Circulation Desk or Reference Desk, or Ask a Librarian online. Additional information about accessibility accommodations at St. Mary’s is available through the Office of Academic Services.