Welcome to the Hilda C. Landers Library & Archives!
As the pandemic continues, please note that services and access have changed to protect the health and safety of our community. We may need to make further changes quickly as circumstances change. Thank you for understanding.
Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Through August 1, the library building is open Monday through Friday from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m.
From August 2 – August 29, the library building will be open Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.
In addition to current College students, faculty, and staff, the library is now open to the public. Everyone on campus must wear a mask indoors and maintain social distance. Visitors must complete the SMCM Symptom Tracker and be prepared to show proof that they are CLEARED to come to campus that day.
- Library books and DVDs can be returned to the book drop in the library lobby at any time.
- Food and drink are allowed in the library, but face coverings must be worn when not actively eating or drinking.
- There are sanitizing stations throughout the library. Please wipe down your space before you settle in and again when you leave.
- The public computers and scanners require special cleaning solutions, so please do not clean them yourself.
- Plexiglass panels have been installed at the library circulation desk. If you are waiting for service, be aware of others and keep your social distance.
- Furniture in open areas has been arranged so that seating is six feet apart. Please do not move furniture.
- In areas where space is tight such as stairwells or book stacks, be aware of others and keep your social distance.
- “Group study rooms” are currently “study rooms” as capacity has been limited. Face coverings must be worn in study rooms when not actively eating, drinking, or talking. Students may reserve a study room in advance here.
Check Out and Renew Materials
- Patrons can browse the stacks and bring items to the library circulation desk for checkout.
- Patrons who are current College students, faculty, and staff can place requests in the St. Mary’s Catalog and in the USMAI Catalog (University System of Maryland & Affiliated Institutions Library Consortium).
- In the option to “Select a Pickup Location,” choose St. Mary’s College of Maryland. Once the book is ready for pick-up at the SMCM library, you will receive a “Hold Available Notice” via email. If you prefer that we mail the book to your home or campus address, reply to that email with your address details. At that point we’ll check the item out to you and put it in the US Mail or campus mail.
- If the option to “Select a Pickup Location” includes a USMAI library elsewhere in Maryland where you’d prefer to pick up the material, choose that campus. That campus will send an email to you once the book is ready for pick-up at that library.
- As always, any book not held by the St. Mary’s library or USMAI can still be requested via interlibrary loan. If you prefer that we mail the book to your home or campus address, include that in the ILL form.
- As always, any article not held by the St. Mary’s library can also be requested via interlibrary loan and it will be delivered to you electronically.
- Many materials can be renewed online through My Account.
- Reference and research assistance are available. Our librarians by subject area are listed here.
- All library instruction will take place remotely this summer.
- The College Archives is open by appointment. Visit the Archives website for additional details.