Hilda C. Landers Library & Archives

  • About
    • Hours
    • Directions and Maps
    • People
    • Policies & Guidelines
    • Student Employment
  • Research Help
    • Get Research Help
    • Research Tools
    • Research Guides
    • Get Endnote
    • Cite your Sources
    • Subject Librarians
  • Services
    • Print, Scan, Copy
    • Computers and Software
    • Study Rooms
    • Accessibility
    • St. Mary’s Project Resources
    • Services for Faculty
    • Borrow, Renew, Request
    • Notary Public Services
  • Archives

Black History within Maryland – Spring 2026

March 4, 2026 by Stephanie Reyes

For the month of March, the library will be displaying a list of spaces within the state of Maryland that are markers of Black History, as well as related archival items. The display is located on the 1st floor of the library near the couches and public computers.

Our research team for this project consisted of student interns Keyshawn Morgan, Perla Bravo, Casper Kinzie, librarian Shane Moran, and Elisia Lewis. They worked to research the history and stories behind the monuments, spaces, museums, and archival items dedicated to African American heritage within the state of Maryland.

This year the library has refreshed our glass display cases on the first floor to feature items from the St. Mary’s College of Maryland Archives. Students (Perla Bravo & Casper Kinzie) and the College Archivist (Shane Moran) have specially curated items around people, places, and memories around Black and African American community members.

The archival items of display and their descriptions are the following:

Display Case #1 (near the sign)

Black History Month

Black History Month, c1989. SMCM Publications: Clippings, Subject Files, and Other Material, RG 08-16. Box 29, Folder 13. St. Mary’s College of Maryland Archives.

Africa for Americans Symposium Proposal Description: Conceived and directed by Michael Coy, Associate Professor of Anthropology at St. Mary’s, the series was supported by grants from the Maryland Humanities Council and the St. Mary’s College Foundation.

This series was divided into two weekends, on which there were different presentations designed to be digestible for the public of Southern Maryland and St. Mary’s College.

Black Student Union (BSU)

Black Student Union (BSU). VP Dean of Students: Student Development Office, RG 06-07. St. Mary’s College of Maryland Archives.

In the 1990s, the Black Student Union (BSU) created a newspaper used to connect students of all origins to the ongoing issues around the United States that affected the Black community. The BSU’s first newspaper, called “Crossroads,” was co-sponsored by the Office of Minority Affairs.

By the late 90s, the BSU launched their new newspaper, “Drum Talk.” “Crossroads” was converted to a communications board at the end of each “Drum Talk” issue.

Crossroads Newspaper

The first newspaper created by the Black Student Union and co-sponsored by the Office of Minority Affairs contained information mostly about on-campus issues, commentaries, and opinions.

The newspaper started with a section “From the Editor’s Desk.” This section provided an introduction to the newspaper and its purpose, plus messages from the Editor-in-Chief.

Lucille Clifton – Photographs

Photographs. Lucille Clifton papers, MSS-035. Box 5 Folder 7. St. Mary’s College of Maryland Archives.

Lucille Clifton was awarded a medal at the National Book Awards in 2000 for poetry for her book Blessing the Boats: New and Selected Poems 1988-2000. The book is seen as a compilation of her style and its development over time with many poems being of Clifton’s personal struggles and difficult topics presented.

(Photography, left to right Galway Kinnell, Lucille Clifton, Kinnell’s wife Barbara K. Bristol, and Dr. Michael Glaser, Professor Emeritus of English at St. Mary’s College of Maryland.)

Photograph 2 Description: Lucille Clifton visits Intensive Poetry Writing Workshop

Lucille Clifton was a distinguished Professor of the Humanities here at St. Mary’s College of Maryland from 1989 to 2005. She was a two time Pulitzer Prize finalist, second woman and first African American to be Poet Laureate of Maryland (1979-1985), and was the first African American to be awarded the Ruth Lily Poetry Prize.

As a professor at St. Mary’s, Clifton presented at multiple events on campus such as the “4 poets” (Oct. 1989) and “Women in Poetry” (March 1995) and was an honored speaker in the 2001 commencement ceremony alongside Dr. Edward T. Lewis, fourth President of SMCM.

Lucille Clifton – Poetry

“after the reading” and “february 11,1990 for Nelson Mandela and Winnie” signed by Lucille Clifton, 1990. Lucille Clifton papers, MSS-035. Box 1 Folder 9. St. Mary’s College of Maryland Archives.

The poem “february 11, 1990 for Nelson Mandela and Winnie,” published in Lucille Clifton’s collection Quilting: Poems 1987-1990 was written to honor the day of Nelson Mandela’s release from his 27 year imprisonment in South Africa.

Elizabeth Barber Interview

The Mulberry Tree, Spring 2001. SMCM Publications: The Mulberry Tree, RG 08-01. Box 3. St. Mary’s College of Maryland Archives.

An interview with Elizabeth Barber Walker, the first Black student to attend St. Mary’s College of Maryland (then St. Mary’s Junior College).

Elizabeth Barber was admitted to St. Mary’s Junior College in 1962. To avoid a rejection based on race, she submitted her application without listing her race, including the name of her high school, or sending a photograph.

Display case #2

Charles Ball Autobiography

Charles Ball, “Slavery in the United States; a narrative of the life and adventures of Charles Ball, a black man, who lived forty years in Maryland, South Carolina and Georgia, as a slave under various masters, and was one year in the Navy with Commodore Barney, during the Late War (Lewistown, Pa. : J. W. Shugert), 1836. Charles Ball Autobiography, MSS-098. St. Mary’s College of Maryland Archives.

The first edition of “Slavery in the United States; a narrative of the life and adventures of Charles Ball, a black man, who lived forty years in Maryland, South Carolina and Georgia, as a slave under various masters, and was one year in the Navy with Commodore Barney, during the Late War.”

Charles Ball was born in Charles County around 1780. His narrative details his experience as an enslaved person, as well as his service during the War of 1812. He is also one of three sailors depicted on the monument to the Battle of Bladensburg in Bladensburg, Maryland.

Genealogy Research: Lois Davis Genealogy Research

Lois Davis Genealogy Research. Lois Waters Davis Genealogy Papers, MSS-108. St. Mary’s College of Maryland Archives.

An extensive genealogical account of Black families in Charles County, Maryland. This binder contains decades of research done by the author to trace her roots and confirm the oral accounts of her family’s history given to her by her elder family members. It also reveals the history of Black education in Charles County; the author’s grandfather was responsible for the establishment of the first Black high school in the county.

An oral history of the author’s life and recollections will be available soon through the St. Mary’s College of Maryland Archives.

Regina Hammett Research

Regina Hammett – Black Schools, 1892-2002. Regina Hammett papers, MSS-015. Box 2 Folder 22. St. Mary’s College of Maryland Archives.

Regina Hammett, a two-time graduate of SMCM, conducted extensive research on Southern Maryland history. These are some of her raw research materials pertaining to Black schools and one-room schoolhouses. The data she found has been instrumental in the understanding and preservation of SoMD history. Her research shows evidence of the discrimination Black schools faced, including underfunding, overcrowding, and underpaid teachers. Hammett’s research, including her book, History of St. Mary’s County, Maryland, is the authoritative account of our local history.

“In relentless pursuit of an education : African American stories from a century of segregation (1865-1967)”

Unified Committee for Afro-American Contributions of St. Mary’s County, “In relentless pursuit of an education : African American stories from a century of segregation (1865-1967)” (Lexington Park, Md.), 2006. Collection on the Landscape of Slavery in Maryland, MSS-052. Box 1 Folder 11. St. Mary’s College of Maryland Archives.

Education opens many opportunities that would not otherwise be available, but was denied to Black Americans for many years. Even when schools were established to educate Black Americans, the segregated system led to schools that were underfunded compared to their white counterparts. This left the staff of these schools unable to provide a proper education for their students and the students struggling to retain the information due to poor conditions like excessive heat or excessive cold, or damaged materials. This book is filled with written oral accounts from students, staff, and parents who were involved in the education within these underfunded Black schools.

Education in St. Mary’s County

Citation: “Education in St. Mary’s County.” Dr. Robert E. King, Jr. St. Mary’s County Superintendent of Public Schools, 1973 March 1. Community Studies Conference: St. Mary’s County in the Year 2000 speeches, MSS-031. Box 1, Folder 5. St. Mary’s College of Maryland Archives.

Dr. Robert E. King, Jr. was the Superintendent of Public Schools for St. Mary’s County starting in 1958. During his tenure as Superintendent of Public Schools, St. Mary’s County fully integrated its school system. The first Black student to attend a St. Mary’s County public high school was Joan Elaine Groves, who attended Great Mills High School starting in 1958. Full integration of the St. Mary’s County public school system did not occur until 1967.

In addition to the archival items, we’ve updated the places within Maryland map. This map showcases places within the state of Maryland that have been built, curated, and highlight Black History:

Map of Maryland with different icons that pinpoint the locations of spaces and monuments that are dedicated to preserving and highlighting black history in Maryland. A list of 22 points in the key to the left.

Full list of spaces are at the end of this post with additional links and information.

Our monument and spaces research team is composed of our student intern Keyshawn Morgan and Library team member Elisia Lewis, they selected and researched 3 spaces out of the list to highlight:

African-American Monument and Freedom Park:
Location Lexington Park, Maryland

The African-American Monument and Freedom Park is dedicated to African-Americans and their contributions to the county from both past and present. It serves as a reminder for the citizens to know of such work that is to be recognized. A pyramid comprised of the oldest architectural structures built of stone and mortar, with four flags standing in front. The pyramid itself is surrounded by six pedestals with bronze plaques. At the top of the pyramid is a metal sculpture representing a flame.

Members of the UCAC made a proposal out to the St. Mary’s County Commissioners, with the intention to erect a monument that was dedicated to African-Americans. With the success of the agreement by the commission, the monument was to be placed alongside Tulagi Place, where there would also be a parking lot and a bus stop. Come July 29, 2000, the founders of UCAC rejoiced as the dream was made. Taking meetings into account to discuss the material that would used to create the structure of the monument we see today. The decision to be made, brought forth the outcome, which was to build the monument in the shape of a pyramid, similar to that of ones found in Egypt. Egypt is an African country, one that is known for its strength and endurance, being able to build pyramids using said strength, a symbol of eternal power.

The plaques: The monument is surrounded by six pedestals with bronze plaques inviting you into the monument to read and reflect on the monumental contributions of African-Americans to the county.

“Welcome to the African-American Monument of St. Mary’s County. This tribute to the unique contributions of African Americans in St. Mary’s County spans the following areas: religion, farming, trades domestic service, education, business, industry, community service, arts, entertainment, health, sports, government, politics, law enforcement, military service, and technology. It is fitting that monuments be build to solidify dignity and self-esteem… monuments that sing praises of love and encouragement to African-Americans and others. Embrace the strength and unity of the African American community! Build! Build monuments within and monuments without that reflect heritage, that create vision.”

  • Purpose: It serves as an external reminder to citizens of the county of the contributions of African Americans, which helped the growth and development of St. Mary’s County.
  • Depiction: A pyramid comprised of the oldest architectural structures built of stone and mortar, with four flags standing in front. The pyramid itself is surrounded by six pedestals with bronze plaques. At the top of the pyramid is a metal sculpture representing a flame.
  • Dedicated: July 29, 2000
  • Founders: Elmer J. Brown and the Unified Committee for Afro-American Contributions (UCAC)
  • Funding: By the Unified Committee for Afro-American Contributions (UCAC) and the St. Mary’s County Commissioners
  • Important Historical Figures: Elmer J. Brown, Richard Holly, Calvin Green, Tony Porter, Bob Lewis, Spencer Scriber, Joseph Stover, Philip Scriber, Melvin Endy, and many more!

Sources: Southern Maryland Equity in History Coalition -The African American Monument – Lexington Park;  Unified Committee for Afro-American Contributions

Commemorative to Enslaved People of Southern Maryland:
Location: Lexington Park, Maryland

The Commemorative to Enslaved People of Southern Maryland is to honor the story of strength and resilience of the lives of the enslaved individuals that once lived in St. Mary’s City. These lives are defined by creative problem solving, strength of character, and louds that echoed in freedom. Its depiction is a one-room cabin with a lighting system, which serves as a beacon of light. It was constructed with a steel framework clad with panels of polished mirror stainless steel and tropical hardwood. With the structure in mind, it stood against the test of time, and proudly stands before us to this day. The result is a stencil of light beams that portray and project the poetry on all sides of the monument.

Through the works of historical documents, archaeological research, and slave folklore, the Commemorative is an acknowledgement to the past while it honors enslaved people who once walked on the land in which we share. It re-contextualizes how we are to view our shared history. With the inclusion of erasure poetry to be displayed on the structure that uses a ghost frame as inspiration for its architecture, Historic St. Mary’s City provides an opportunity to change the dialogue around slavery in Southern Maryland.

Historical context: After the War of 1812, Americans were able to request reimbursement for any losses that occurred during the war. The archives at St. Mary’s College of Maryland include a deposition from the Brome Plantation, the land that is now St. Mary’s College, which was written by Robert Lilburn in 1821. Lilburn had written the piece about seven years after the war had ended. In the deposition, we can study more about former enslaved people of the plantation who self-emancipated by joining the British. The document says that in August 1814, “Admiral Cockburn landed at the home of Robert Lilburn with his men. And among them were two slaves, the property of John Mackall, named Harry Hammet and little Harry. The deponent asked them, ‘How did they like their new master?’ And they turned their backs on him and gave him no answer.” In another, the neighbors of Dr. Brome had a list of slaves, and among them are Harry Hammet and Harry Fox. This deposition says that about a few weeks after the slaves disappeared, British soldiers had arrived to the home of Benjamin Clocker and Susanna Bain, accompanied by the two former slaves Fox and Hammet. Harry Hammet raided and inspected the home under the authorization of Admiral Cockburn. These among bold acts of resistance are only a few examples of how the formerly enslaved had found redemption in their freedom, breaking free with a loud voice in society.

“A commemorative can be a reflective piece, but it can call you to action and make you think about something that is positive there. It can affect how you live your life going forward.”

-Former President Emerita Tuajuanda C. Jordan

  • Purpose: It is to honor the story of resilience and creative problem-solving that defined the lives of the enslaved individuals that once lived in St. Mary’s City.
  • Depiction: A one-room cabin with a lighting system that serves as a beacon of light. With the intention of standing the test of time, it was constructed with a steel framework clad with panels of polished mirror stainless steel and tropical hardwood. Its result is a stencil of light beams that portray and project the poetry on all sides of the monument.
  • Dedicated: October 31, 2020
  • Founders/Creators: Shane Allbritton and Norman Lee of RE:site studio and poet Quenton Baker.
  • Funding: By the State of Maryland, private donors, the Maryland Heritage Areas Authority, Maryland State Arts Council, and Dr. and Mrs. Jeffrey J. Byrd.
  • Important Historical Figures: John Mackall, Harry Hammet, Robert Lilburn, Harry Fox, Benjamin Clocker, Susanna Bain.

Sources: Maryland Office of Tourism; SMCM – Discovery of Slave Quarters; SMCM – About the Commemorative ; Atlas Obscura 

Cardinal Gibbons Institute Marker
Location: Ridge MD 20680

Residing inside of the Cardinal Gibbons Memorial Park, the Cardinal Gibbons Institute Marker memorializes St. Mary’s County’s first Black high school which opened in 1924 in Ridge, MD. The marker features an inscribed pyramid detailing the school’s history which sits inside the school’s original, exposed cupola.

Named after donor Catholic Archbishop James Cardinal Gibbons of Baltimore, the Cardinal Gibbons Institute blended religious teachings with vocational education, and its early curriculum was modeled after the Tuskeegee Institute’s as its first two teachers were Tuskeegee graduates. The school operated from 1924-1967, with temporary closure from 1933-1936, but it ultimately closed due to financial difficulties after desegregation. The Cardinal Gibbons Institute was demolished in 1972.

  • Depiction: A brick cupola originally from the structure (1924) labelled “C.G.I. Memorial” with a black, inscribed pyramid sitting on a brick post inside of the cupola.
  • Dedicated: September 1, 1990
  • Founders: Cardinal Gibbons Institute Memorial Committee, St. Peter Claver Church
  • Important Historical Figures: Archbishop James Cardinal Gibbons of Baltimore
  • Inscriptions:

    “In November 1916, three Catholic priests, Fathers LaFarge, Emerick, and Matthews met with blacks from St. Mary’s county to discuss their plans to have a national industrial school. In May 1917, land was acquired for this school. Archbishop James Cardinal Gibbons of Baltimore, Maryland donated $8,000 towards the purchase of this land. Consequently, the new school was named after the Archbishop – Cardinal Gibbons Institute. The Knights of Columbus National Board of Directors donated $38,000 towards the erection of the school building in February 1922. Archbishop Michael J. Curley of Baltimore, Maryland approved the general plans for the institute. Cardinal Gibbons Institute was opened in September 1924 and dedicated in October 1924. Victor H. Daniel was hired as the institute’s first principal and his wife, Constance, was hired as its assistant principal. The institute’s first graduating class held its commencement in June 1929.”

Sources: The Historical Marker Database; Southern Maryland Equity in History Coalition;

Full list of spaces notated on the image of the map:

  1. Charles Albert Tindley Memorial Bruder Hill Building
    • Location: Berlin, MD
    • Further information: Beach, Bays, & Water Ways: Dr. Charles Albert Tindley
  2. Edythe M. Jolley Museum and Cultural Center
    • Location: Cambridge, MD
    • Further information: The Mace’s Lane Community Center, Inc. (MLCC)
  3. Doleman Black Heritage Museum
    • Location: Hagerstown, MD
    • Further information: Doleman Black Heritage Museum
  4. United States Colored Troops Memorial Monument
    • Location: Lexington Park, MD
    • Further information: Visit St. Mary’s, SoMD News, SoMD Equity in History Coalition, Historical Marker Database
  5. African-American Monument and Freedom Park
    • Location: Lexington Park, MD
    • Further information: SoMD Equity in History, Unified Committee for Afro-American Contributions
  6. Commemorative to Enslaved People of Southern Maryland
    • Lexington Park, MD
    • Further information: SMCM: About the Commemorative
  7. Historic Sotterley:
    • Location: Hollywood, MD
    • Further information: Historic Sotterley: Common Ground
  8. Reginald F. Lewis Museum
    • Baltimore, MD
    • Further information: Reginald F. Lewis Museum
  9. Kunta Kinte-Alex Haley Memorial
    • Location: Annapolis, MD
    • Further information: Kunta Kinte-Alex Haley Foundation; Kunta Kinte-Alex Haley Memorial Annapolis; Alex Haley
  10. Banneker-Douglass-Tubman Museum
    • Location: Annapolis, MD
    • Further information: https://bdmuseum.maryland.gov/  https://www.eyeonannapolis.net/2024/10/banneker-douglass-museum-to-be-renamed-in-honor-of-harriet-tubman-on-november-1/
  11. Frederick Douglass bronze statue & Frederick Douglass-Isaac Myers Maritime Park
    • Location: Baltimore, MD
    • Further information: Frederick Douglass (Baltimore, Maryland), Frederick Douglass-Isaac Myers Maritime Park — Living Classrooms Foundation
  12. Lillie Carroll Jackson Civil Rights Museum
    • Location: Baltimore, MD
    • Further information: Official Website, Maryland State Archives, Baltimore Heritage
  13. Josiah Henson Museum & Park
    • Location: North Bethesda, MD
    • Further information: National Park Service-Josiah Henson, Washington Post- Uncle Tom’s Cabin, ZigerSnead Architects- The Planning of Josiah Henson Park, Josiah Henson Museum Park Official Site, Montgomery County Planning Board- Josiah Henson Park
  14. Black Arts District
    • Location: Baltimore, MD
    • Further information: Black Arts District
  15. Camp Stanton
    • Location: Hughesville, MD
    • Further information: Camp Stanton | VisitMaryland.org, Camp Stanton | Charles County Tourism
  16. Columbia Air Center
    • Location: Croom, MD
    • Further information: Columbia Air Center
  17. Harriet Tubman Underground Railroad State Park and Visitor Center
    • Location: Church Creek, MD
    • Further information: Harriet Tubman Underground Railroad National Historical Park (U.S. National Park Service)
  18. Sugarland – historic Sugarland church
    • Location: Poolesville, MD
    • Further information: Sugarland Ethno-History Project
  19. Pomonkey High School
    • Location: Indian Head, MD
    • Further information: The Historical Marker Database – Pomonkey High School, Charles County Public Schools: Pomonkey High School Alumni Association holds centennial celebration
  20. Battle of Bladensburg Monument
    • Location: Bladensburg, MD
    • Further information: Charles Ball Autobiography (see display cabinet), The Historical Marker Database
  21. Cardinal Gibbons Institute Marker
    • Location: Saint Inigoes, MD
    • Further information: Visit St. Mary’s, MD Website; Southern Maryland Equity in History Coalition
  22. Drayden African American Schoolhouse
    • Location: Drayden, MD
    • Further information: St. Mary’s County Government – Museum Division

 

Filed Under: Announcements, Exhibits, Web Resources Tagged With: announcements, featured, history, student workers

St. Mary’s Smackdown

December 11, 2018 by Amanda VerMeulen

Founded as St. Mary’s Female Seminary, St. Mary’s College of Maryland shares its name with many other “Mary” schools across the country.  Though SMCM was founded as a non-sectarian boarding school to memorialize religious tolerance in colonial times, its name was very close to the Catholic school formerly known as St. Mary’s School for Boys, aka the University of Dayton.  We want this post to go viral, so we have no time for supporting each other as institutions of higher learning with stories and aspirations in common. Instead, it’s Mary vs. Mary, boys vs. girls, seminary vs. school, it’s…

St. Mary’s Smackdown 2018

4 images are displayed side by side: the exterior of Roesch Library, a doll dressed as a nun, a doll dressed in a colonial era gray dress, and the exterior of the Library at St. Mary's College of Maryland

Competitor 1:  St. Mary’s College of Maryland (formerly St. Mary’s Female Seminary)

Fighting out of the navy blue (and white) corner is the national public honors college of Maryland.  Coming in strong with 1,533 students, SMCM offers Bachelor’s degrees in the liberal arts and a Master of Arts in Teaching, ready to school its rivals.

Competitor 2:  University of Dayton (formerly St. Mary’s School for Boys)

Currently in the red (and blue) corner, a private Catholic Marianist university in Ohio.  With 10,899 students, Bachelor’s, Master’s, Doctorate programs, and a law school, will UD crush the opposition beyond a reasonable doubt?


Round 1:  1840 vs. 1850

SMCM:  founded in 1840, SMCM is the older (and wiser?) competitor.

UD:  clocking in at 1850, UD is the younger (and reckless?) contender.

Results:  As they say, age before beauty.  Another cool fact about 1840: it was the year Claude Monet was born.

On the other hand, 1850 was the year the London Zoo brought in its first hippopotamus (following a complex chain of events, ultimately leading to the birth of adorable Fiona the hippo at the Cincinnati Zoo!).  Hmmmm…Monet vs. hippos. I can guess who would win in a fight, but I’ve never seen a hippo paint a pond filled with water lilies.


Round 2: Doll vs. Dolls

SMCM:  The Library, Archives, and Media Center is home to Margaret Brent–that is, the doll version.  Brent was credited with keeping the young but full of drama St. Mary’s City alive (it was in its tween years) with her savvy as executor of the governor’s estate.  An unmarried woman who immigrated to colonial Maryland in the late 1630s, she was also the first woman to petition the court for the right to vote, though she was denied (see “History — patriarchy” for more information).  Fun fact: Margaret Brent (the person, not the doll) has a building on campus, the college’s De Soura Brent Scholars program, and a local middle school named after her.

UD:  Roesch Library houses the (in)famous Pauline A. Money nun doll collection.  Representing habits of religious orders around the world, the nun dolls also serve as a reminder that the 6th floor silent policy will be enforced…by library staff who may politely suggest a different floor for your group work.  They are strongly suspected to move on their own late at night.

Results:  Strength in numbers falls in the nun dolls’ favor; however, their commitment to non-violence may hold them back (in mortal if not spiritual matters).  Either way, I wouldn’t want to meet any of these dolls down a dark alley.


Round 3:  Fire vs. Explosion

SMCM:  in 1924, a fire destroyed the Main Building on campus and most of the college’s records.  The fire started after an overfilled boiler exploded; as far as we know, this is the school’s only connection to the events in The Shining.  The students of SMCM lived in temporary housing until 1925, when a new building–now known as Calvert Hall–was finished.

UD:  throughout the 1920s, UD experienced attacks from members of the KKK who targeted Catholics in the Dayton area, many of them immigrants.  One of the most serious incidents occurred in 1923, when members of the Klan set off bombs on campus and set a large cross alight. Students and neighbors banded together to drive off the attackers.*

Results:  The loss of historically important records, damage to property, and fear yield no real winners here.  The 1920s were challenging years on both campuses, yet the communities endured, demonstrating their resilience through hardship.

*SMCM also experienced a great deal of anti-Catholic sentiments as the Know Nothing party gained popularity in the 1850s.  During this period, a principal and teacher were fired for selling an anti-Catholic book, The School-girl in France, or, The Snares of Popery.


Round 4:  Mascots — Man vs. Nature

SMCM mascot:  Solomon the Seahawk, osprey.  Locally, Solomons is a tourist spot in Maryland named for Isaac Solomon, cannery owner/operator and inventor of a speedy method for canning food.

UD mascot:  Rudy Flyer, human.  Adopted as the school’s mascot in honor of the Wright B. Flyer, invented in the First in Flight city of Dayton (don’t @ me, North Carolina).

Results:  Based on punning alone, I don’t know of any mascot that beats rUDy Flyer.  However, I have to wonder whether Rudy’s ever-present aviator goggles hide a sinister secret.

Both mascots are creatures frequently found in the sky, and I like to believe they would coexist peacefully.  Solomon could share his fish catches with Rudy, and Rudy could provide a perch on the Wright B. Flyer when Solomon’s wings get tired.


As you may have suspected by now, we think both SMCM and UD are great, whether they are “St. Mary’s” schools today or in the past.  Let us be united in the ways our histories parallel and enjoy that somehow the libraries at both schools have doll collections.

Of course, we’re more than willing to hear dissenting opinions on this topic.  Who do you think wins St. Mary’s Smackdown 2018?

Our friendly rivals at the University of Dayton Libraries have posted this piece on their blog here.


Find more information about the history of St. Mary’s College of Maryland in the following resources:

    • About St. Mary’s: History of the College.  http://www.smcm.edu/about/history4/history-of-the-college
    • Archives of St. Mary’s College of Maryland
  • Haugaard, J.B., Wilkinson, S.G., and King, J.A. St. Mary’s: A “When-Did?” Timeline (2007). https://library.smcm.edu/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/editedWhenDid-Timeline1.pdf


Find more information about the history of the University of Dayton in the following resources:

    • About the University of Dayton:  History. https://udayton.edu/about/history.php
  • Trollinger, W.V. “Hearing the Silence: The University of Dayton, the Ku Klux Klan, and Catholic Universities and Colleges in the 1920s” (2013). History Faculty Publications. Paper 11. http://ecommons.udayton.edu/hst_fac_pub/11

Filed Under: Archives, Musings Tagged With: featured, history

Flappers: Six Women of a Dangerous Generation

March 2, 2015 by Amanda VerMeulen

Flappers Cover ArtContinuing with our collection features on Women’s History, the library brings you Flappers: Six Women of a Dangerous Generation by Judith Mackrell. This collective biography focuses on the lives of the following women in the 1920s:

  • Diana Cooper, socialite extraordinaire
  • Nancy Cunard, writer and political activist
  • Tallulah Bankhead, actress
  • Zelda Fitzgerald, novelist
  • Josephine Baker, famed singer, dancer and actress
  • Tamara de Lempicka, artist

Read Flappers: Six Women of a Dangerous Generation by Judith Mackrell for a well-researched, addictive 1920s history fix.

Filed Under: Library Collection Tagged With: books, history, in the collection, Women's History Month

Celebrate Women’s History Month

March 1, 2015 by Amanda VerMeulen

Penn[sylvania] on the picket line-- 1917.

Penn[sylvania] on the picket line– 1917. From the Records of the National Woman’s Party at the Library of Congress

Happy Women’s History Month! This March 2015 marks the 35th anniversary of Women’s History Month, and this year’s theme is Weaving the Stories of Women’s Lives, a nod to the power of narrative and storytelling in American history and importance of the stories of individual women.

To celebrate this month, the St. Mary’s Library will be featuring different women’s history resources on the In the Collection portion of the Library’s website. We’ll also have a series of posts about research materials related to women’s history, as well as amazing information you can access online through various archival collections.

Filed Under: Events Tagged With: history, Women's History Month

Black in Latin America

February 23, 2015 by Amanda VerMeulen

HT-66-resized

For the last in our series of “In the Collection” features related to Black History Month, the Library brings you Black in Latin America, a 2-disc, 4-episode series on DVD that explores the intersections of race, identity, and Latin American history. Narrated by Dr. Henry Louis Gates, Jr., this series examines the legacy of slavery and colonialism in Latin America by specifically looking at Peru, Mexico, Brazil, Haiti, the Dominican Republic, and Cuba. I first caught Black in Latin America on PBS a few years ago and was hooked. It’s a fascinating glimpse of racial politics and identity in the larger “America.”

You’ll find this engaging series in our open DVD collection on the first floor of the library, call number F1419.N4 B533 2011. There is also a book to accompany the DVD, which is located on the 2nd floor of our library in the stacks (call number: F1419.N4 G38 2011) You can find out more about Black in Latin America by checking out the accompanying PBS website and the preview video below.

[youtube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-tvFAFUbRyQ]

Filed Under: Library Collection Tagged With: AADS, anthropology, Black History Month, dvds, history, in the collection, PBS

Slavery, Abolition & Social Justice

February 23, 2015 by Amanda VerMeulen

Opening page of 'The Interesting Narrative of The Life of Olaudah Equiano

Opening page of ‘The Interesting Narrative of The Life of Olaudah Equiano’
© The British Library, London

Historical researchers, be they students or faculty, are always interested in primary source materials–original photos, essays, letters, legislation, newspapers, etc.–that may open a door to the past. Among the St. Mary’s Library’s digital primary source collections is Slavery, Abolition & Social Justice, a database that brings together documents from archives and libraries around the Atlantic world.

Included in this online resource are documents covering the following themes:

  • Slavery in the Early Americas
  • The African Coast
  • The Middle Passage
  • Slavery and Agriculture
  • Urban & Domestic Slavery
  • Slave Testimony
  • Resistance & Revolt
  • The Underground Railroad
  • The Abolition Movement
  • The Legacy of Slavery

This is just a sampling of the various topics covered in this truly amazing collection. Take a few minutes to explore.

Filed Under: Library Collection Tagged With: Black History Month, history, in the collection, primary sources

19th Century African American Newspapers

February 23, 2015 by Amanda VerMeulen

Frederick Douglass greeting

The Library has a great collection of 19th century African American Newspapers that you can access online through Accessible Archives. Primary source research has never been this easy! Included in this collection are the following historical newspapers:

  • The Christian Recorder
  • The Colored American/Weekly Advocate
  • Frederick Douglass Paper
  • Freedom’s Journal
  • The National Era
  • The North Star
  • Provincial Freeman

Take a few minutes, explore the collection, and learn more about this amazing collection of first-hand reports from the 1800s.

Filed Under: Library Collection Tagged With: Black History Month, history, in the collection, newspapers, primary sources

Access to History

January 21, 2013 by Amanda VerMeulen

Martin Luther King, Jr.

photo courtesy of the Library of Congress

Today we commemorate the life and work of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr., and what better way to do so than to take a look at some of the words and photos that tell his story. The King Library and Archives in Atlanta has a fascinating digital collection of Dr. King’s writings, as well as photographs and documents associated with him. As stated on the Digital Collection homepage, “There are nearly a million documents associated with the life of Martin Luther King Jr.” so what’s online is just a snippet, albeit a fascinating one.

Being able to access a fascinating primary sources online is a result of the hard work of diligent archivists, librarians, interns and technicians who not only preserve historical documents but ensure that they are accessible to the public. Our own St. Mary’s Archives include several digital collections like the Historic Campus Photographs Collection and the St. Mary’s Student Newspaper Archive. The library also provides access to historical documents and primary source materials through online databases like Everyday Life and Women in America, the Picture Post Historical Archive, Victorian Popular Culture, and Historic Documents Online.

So the next time you feel like accessing a piece of history, why not at a library?

Filed Under: Library Collection Tagged With: database, history, MLK Day, onlineresource, primarysources

Online now, the Point News (etc.)

September 5, 2012 by Amanda VerMeulen

When was the Point News not the Point News?

For most of the 1940s and ’50s the St. Mary’s student newspaper was called “The Signal News.”

Signal News 1953

Tom Barrett plans orientation

It first became “The Point News” in 1959.

Point News 1961

A recurring theme

Then for most of the 1970s and into the ’80s it was “The Empath.”

Empath 1973

Another recurring theme

Empath 1979

Uncharted territory

Empath 1984

Not to be confused with the mac lab

Much to the dismay of some 1970s and early ’80s alumni, the name “The Point News” returned in 1985.

Point News 1989

Witnesses to history

Point News 1998

First report on the storied Riot of ’98

Point News 2000

Going green in 2000

Whatever the name, St. Mary’s student newspapers  from 1952 through 2002 have been digitized and are now available online, fully word-searchable, via the Archives web site!

And because we take our duty to preserve our historical record seriously, physical copies of all these papers (as well as those from the 1940s and from 2002 to date) are safely tucked away in the College Archives.  Hard copies of issues from 2002 to date are also available in the Library.

Happy reading!

Filed Under: Archives, Library Collection Tagged With: history, newspapers

New Online Resources from Gale

May 31, 2012 by Amanda VerMeulen

Three new archival collections from Gale are now available to St. Mary’s students, faculty and staff:

Picture PostPicture Post Historical Archive, 1938-1957
This collection is a searchable archive of the British photojournalism newspaper (think England’s version of Life magazine). If you’re looking for photos or stories to give you a sense of British culture and popular sentiment from the pre-WWII years to first years of the Cold War, this is a great resource for you.

19th Century U.S. Newspapers19th Century U.S. Newspapers
This online resource contains over 1.7 million pages of U.S. newspapers from the 19th century. Major newspapers along with regional and special interest papers are all represented. Take a break from the microfilm reader and click on over to this collection.

The Times The Times of London Digital Archive, 1785-1985
The access provided by this online collection is amazing! I think the product description from the Gale site says it best: “Every complete page of every issue of The Times (London) from 1785 to 1985. Every headline, article and image. Every front page, editorial, birth and death notice, advertisement and classified ad”

Filed Under: Library Collection Tagged With: database, history

  • 1
  • 2
  • Next Page »

Recent Posts

  • Library Hours – Spring Break 2026 March 9, 2026
  • Service Disruption – Newspaper Archive Database March 9, 2026
  • Black History within Maryland – Spring 2026 March 4, 2026
  • Library Delayed Opening – February 23 February 22, 2026
  • Library Delayed Opening – February 2 February 1, 2026

Categories

  • Announcements (30)
  • Archives (12)
  • Database Trial (8)
  • Events (57)
  • Exhibits (8)
  • Faculty and Staff Profiles (4)
  • Library Building (47)
  • Library Collection (62)
  • Library Ethnography Project (2)
  • Library Hours (97)
  • Library People (34)
  • Musings (34)
  • Services (31)
  • Student Employees (24)
  • Summer Reading (284)
  • Teaching & Education (2)
  • Uncategorized (1)
  • Web Resources (13)

Archives

Contact Us:

(240) 895-4264

ask@smcm.libanswers.com

47645 College Drive
St. Mary's City, MD, 20686-3001

Follow Us

  • Directions
  • Archives
  • Directory
Support the Library
White and Gold text reading 'The National Public Honors College' linking to the SMCM Homepage
St. Mary's College of Maryland
47645 College Drive
St. Mary's City, MD, 20686-3001

(240) 895-2000
Give Today

Next Steps

  • Request Information
  • Visit Campus
  • How to Apply
  • Explore SMCM

Just For You

  • Prospective Students
  • Current Students
  • New Students
  • Parents & Families
  • Faculty | Staff
  • Employment

Resources

  • InsideSMCM
  • Directory
  • Events | Newsroom
  • Hilda C. Landers Library
  • College Rankings
  • Translate
  • Digital Accessibility Plan
  • Brand Resources
  • For the Media

St. Mary’s College of Maryland reserves the right to provide some or all of the course content through alternative methods of course delivery, including remote methods of delivery, and it reserves the right to change the method of delivery at any time before or during the academic term, in the event of a health or safety emergency or similar situation when it determines, in its sole discretion, that such change is necessary and in the best interests of the College and the campus community.

  • © St. Mary's College of Maryland
  • Consumer Information
  • Copyright
  • Privacy Policy
  • Title IX Compliance &Training
  • Report an Accessibility Issue
  • Non-discrimination Policy
  • Reporting Suspected Child Abuse and Neglect
  • OLA Fraud Hotline
  • Help Desk
  • Website Feedback
  • National Human Trafficking Hotline
  • 1-888-373-7888
  • BeFree Textline
  • Text HELP to 233733 (BEFREE)
  • More resources on human trafficking in Maryland